Barbershop.no forum
Sandman

Barbering med kaldt vann?

Fant en interessant artikkel hos The Art of Manliness. Der omtales barbering ved bruk av kaldt i stedet for varmt vann :unsure: , og hvilke fordeler dette gir.

Mest interessant er kanskje påstanden om at varmt vann gjør hårene så bløte og myke, at et blad vil kunne "skli av" i stedet for å kutte, kutte kun delvis, eller kun i lengderetningen. Bruk av kaldt vann skal i stedet gjøre hårene mer stive, og derved lettere for bladet å få tak i og kutte. I tillegg skal også huden ha mye bedre av kaldt vann, da varmt vann angivelig tørker ut huden.

Dette strider tilsynelatende med gjeldende syn på hva som er den beste måten å barbere seg på, men i artikkelen henvises det til gamle teorier og oppfatninger om bruk av kaldt vann - og hvem vet - kanskje dagens syn bør revurderes :huh:

Jeg vil prøve denne "kald-barberingen" noen dager, og se hvordan resultatet blir. Poster deretter noen ord om hva jeg synes om forsøket. Oppfordrer også andre til å teste denne teorien ;) .

PS Følg også linken til SRP nederst......

Her er artikkelen:

When I watched the HBO series Band of Brothers, I was struck by how the soldiers, ill-supplied, freezing, and wearily dug into the snowy trenches of Bastogne, still made time to shave. The clean shaven face was and is military policy. Even today, US soldiers, although they must do without hot water and baths for months at a time, still try to get in a daily shave. It might seem like a strange policy to civilians, but requiring the men to be well-groomed is believed to be important in preserving the men's sense of discipline and the esprit de corps.

Shaving with cold water seems like a hardship, a practice that must be endured in Spartan living conditions. After all, it's wet shaving doctrine that a man must always shave with hot water. It not only feels nice, it softens the beard and supposedly gives you a more comfortable shave.

But what if that advice is wrong? What if it's actually better to shave with cold water, even when you're not fighting the Battle of the Bulge?

Well, according to a bunch of authors in the 19th century, cold water shaving is indeed superior to shaving with hot water.

Published in 1833, The Young Man's Guide offered advice for men coming of age on various facets of life. The author devoted one section to personal grooming. Along with the typical advice you'd expect to hear (bathe daily, change your clothes) the author suggests that men give up shaving with hot water and mirrors in order to save time. Here's what he says:

Sir John Sinclair asked a friend whether he meant to have a son of his (then a little boy) taught Latin? 'No,' said he, 'but I mean to do something a great deal better for him.' 'What is that?' said Sir John. 'Why,' said the other, 'I mean to teach him
to shave with cold water, and without a glass
.'

My readers may smile, but I can assure them that Sir John is not alone. There are many others who have adopted this practice, and found it highly beneficial. One individual, who had tried it for years, has the following spirited remarks on the subject.

'Only think of the inconvenience attending the common practice! There must be
hot water
; to have this there must be
a fire
, and, in some cases, a fire for that purpose alone; to have these, there must be a
servant
, or you must light a fire yourself. For the want of these, the job is put off until a later hour: this causes a stripping and another dressing bout: or, you go in a slovenly state all that day, and the next day the thing must be done, or cleanliness must be abandoned altogether….How many a piece of important business has failed from a short delay! And how many thousand of such delays daily proceed from this unworthy cause!'

Another 19th century writer also advocated cold water shaving. In 1838's Present to an Apprentice, Sir J. Bannard tells readers:

Always shave with cold water. Barbers use warm, because they have to accommodate themselves to the habits of those whom they shave. The use of cold water saves much time and trouble— tends to preserve the smoothness and beauty of the skin; and when you have accustomed your face to it, you will shave as
easily with cold water as with warm.

In Cottager's Monthly Visitor, a monthly magazine from 1822, the editor writes:

Do not lose time by waiting for hot water. Cold is better after you once get accustomed to it. Hot water makes the face delicate and tender, the very cause why shaving is a painful operation.

And finally, in a book called Shaving Made Easy, the author argues that the idea that a soft beard gives a better shave is a bunch of bunk and that hot water should be avoided:

A hair, as is well known, is a tube composed of a hard fibrous substance, growing from a bulb or root, which secretes an oily matter.

This oil works its way up through the hair, and by permeating all parts, renders the hair soft and pliable. Now in this natural oily condition, it is very difficult to cut the hair with a razor, and
it becomes even more difficult if the beard be made still softer by the application of hot water.
Many do this, and it is no wonder they find shaving difficult. When this is done, the hairs become soft and limp, and the razor will either slip over them entirely, or else cut partly into them, bend them back and shave them lengthwise, all the while pulling and straining them at the roots, and making the process of shaving most painful.

Why You Should Consider Shaving with Cold Water

The reasons for cold water shaving given by the above authors can be summed up in 4 points:

Saves time. Granted, getting hot water in the 1800s was time consuming and labor intensive. You had to gather wood, start a fire, and wait for the water to boil. Fast-forward to today and all you have to do is turn on a faucet. But even then, it can take a bit of time for the water to warm up. So on those days when you're running late and every second counts, using cold water can shave some time off your routine.

Allows you to shave when hot water isn't available. I think we've all had those moments when hot water just isn't on tap: the heater breaks, your wife uses up all the hot water while showering, you're fighting in the mountains of Afghanistan, or you're traveling abroad and staying in a place without such luxuries. But when you have to be cleaned up and ready for work, inspections, or a date with an exotic local woman, you can't skip out on shaving simply because you don't have hot water.

Cold water gives a better shave. The argument here is that a soft beard is hard to shave, while a stiff beard is easier to cut. Hot water makes your beard soft; cold water keeps the whiskers stiff. Thus, cold water renders a better shave.

Cold water leaves the skin looking healthier. We've written about this in our post about the James Bond Shower. Hot water tends to dry out skin. If you want a nice looking mug, use cold water.

My Experience Shaving With Cold Water

I had to shave with cold water several times when I lived in Mexico. Sometimes I ran out of gas before the end of the month and was forced to bathe and shave with cold water (not fun in the winter time). That was over 5 years ago and ever since I got back to the States, I've been a strict hot water shaver. But after reading the old advice given above, I decided to experiment with a cold water shave.

After getting over the shock of using ice cold lather as opposed to a nice, warm, soothing one, I have to say the cold water shave wasn't that bad. The experience wasn't too much different from hot water shaving and was more invigorating, waking me up.

I did notice that my razor tugged on my whiskers a bit more than when I shave with hot water. But according to Shaving Made Easy that's to be expected. Hot water softens whiskers, causing the blade to slip over them instead of cutting them. With cold water, my whiskers remained stiff, thus allowing the blade to cut every single one. It's like the poor man's Lectric Shave.

The end result was a surprisingly close shave with just one pass, and my skin felt great. My face often feels puffy, irritated, and dry after shaving with hot water. Not so with the cold.

Will I convert completely to cold water shaving? Maybe. Old habits die hard, but the benefits might entice me to cross over. At the least, I know it's a viable option when hot water just isn't available.

For more experiences on cold water shaving, check out this thread at Straight Razor Place.

Sandman, vi er flere som venter på dine erfaringer med kaldt vann, men det kan være noe i denne påstanden. Spørsmålet er: Har vi skarpt nok verktøy! De beste barberingene som jeg får, når jeg barberer kunder, er de med et skjegg av "stålull". Selvsagt må disse sepes inn, men at skjegget er stivt, da gjør det at kniven skjærer bedre. Selvsagt ville det være grov tortur hvis jeg ikke brukte sepe. De med mykt skjegg er de verste å barbere. Kniven har lett for å gli over, ja, den kan til og med rykke skjegget av. Jeg kaller dette for gummiskjegg.

Da jeg startet på forumet kom jeg med uttalelser angående dette å sepe seg inn flere ganger. Jeg mente den gang at barberingen måtte gjøres riktig fra de første drag, gjerne med flere strøk i forskjellige retninger. Jeg opplevde at hvis vi septe oss inn for andre gang, at kniven gled over skjegget. Hvis jeg i salongen ikke seper inn to ganger, griper kniven bedre når jeg går igjennom skjegget på "utsatte" steder. Men på helt spesielle steder, kan jeg ta litt sepe på, for å gjøre "torturen" mindre for kunden.

Men min magefølelse er: Bruk varmt vann. I teorien er det sikkert noe i dette med kaldt vann, men finnes det så skarpe kniver at det er mulig å gjennomføre det? Kanskje er det bra med ikke for sterk innseping på mykt skjegg?

Lykke til Sandman. jeg venter i spenning.

Tyfonikus - da tolker jeg deg dithen, at jeg foreløpig blir alene om å prøve ut denne kaldt-vann teorien :( .

Jeg husker noen lignende, svært kalde opplevelser fra vintermanøvrer i Bardufoss i sin tid, og jeg tenker ikke tilbake på de som spesielt gode barberingsminner. Riktignok med skum på boks og en halvsløv Gillette-høvel til rådighet, men det fristet ikke til gjentakelse da.

Jeg går allikevel på med friskt mot, og danner meg en mening i ettertid. Tilbakemeldingene fra SRP var noe delte, så jeg antar at dette ikke vil revolusjonere våtbarbering. Det var nok mye p.g.a. praktiske årsaker (begrenset tilgang på varmt vann) at man benyttet kaldt vann tidligere.

Tilbakemelding følger.....:)

Sandman.

Du kan fylle det ytre rommet i scuttelen med vann. Hive den i fryseboksen. Når alt er frosset så tror jeg du har et godt utgangspunkt for å lage kaldt skum også. Hihihihi

Spøk til side. Jeg vil aldri begynne med kaldt vann. Hele greia er mantalhygiene for meg, og da skal det være behagelig. Jeg syns det er ubehaglig nok å skylle ansiktet med kaldt vann etter at jeg er ferdig med kniven/høvelen. Kunne ikke tenke meg å påføre kaldt vann mer enn den ene gangen. :angry:

Du skal ha ros for å være villig til å forsøke nye ting. Jeg kommer til å lese om resultatet av prosjektet. Blir du "frelst," vil jeg aldri bli en disippel. :D

Lykke til.

Da har jeg nettopp gjennomført en barbering med bruk av kun kaldt vann - alt i forskningens navn ;)

Her er fremgangsmåten jeg fulgte;

Fylte min scuttle's innvendige reservoar med kaldt vann rett fra springen, samt fuktet en Omega svinebust-kost i samme springvann.

Plasserte en normal mengde Proraso grønn barberkrem i scuttle'n, og skummet dette opp. Fuktet deretter ansiktet i kaldt vann, og såpet meg så inn med skummet jeg hadde laget.

Brukte en Germania Cutlery Works 5/8 til barberingen, og kjørte først et WTG-pass. Da dette var gjort, såpet jeg meg på ny inn med skummet, og kjørte en ATG. Skum på kniven ble skylt bort i kaldt vann, så bladet var også hele tiden kaldt.

Deretter skylte jeg av alle såperester med kaldt springvann, og uten å tørke huden, påførte jeg en Proraso PrePost krem.

Erfaringer: Det var vanskeligere å få produsert normal mengde og konsistens skum i det kalde vannet, og tok noe mer tid. Til slutt var jeg fornøyd, og påførte det i ansiktet ved hjelp av Omega-kosten. Dette kjentes mye mindre ubehagelig enn jeg hadde fryktet, og skummet var tett og holdbart.

Jeg merket ingen stor forskjell under selve barberingen, men mener at "skrapelyden" når skjegget ble kuttet, var merkbart høyere. Det var ingen lugging eller annet ubehag, hverken barbering WTG eller ATG (med eller mot hårene - til informasjon for våre nye medlemmer).

Resultatet av barberingen kjennes i alle fall ikke noe dårligere enn ved bruk av varmt, og huden virker umiddelbart "roligere".

Konklusjon: Dette var langt fra den udelt ubehagelige barbering jeg hadde fryktet. Kremen er litt vanskeligere/mer tidkrevende å skumme opp (hva som skjer med en såpe vet jeg ikke), men gir tilsynelatende like god smøring og fukting som varmt skum. Med en god og skarp kniv merkes i alle fall ingen ekstra lugging eller annet ubehag i forhold til varm-barbering.

Barberingen ble (minst) like tett som vanlig, og huden trives (minst) like godt med kald behandling som varm.

Så, neste gang du befinner deg i en skyttergrav i ukesvis, uten annet enn kaldt regnvann å barbere deg i, kan du trolig berolige deg med at det er fullt mulig å gjennomføre en slett ikke ubehagelig barbering, selv i primitive omgivelser. Selv vil jeg nok avvente dette til jeg eventuelt havner i nevnte skyttergrav, og inntil videre se frem til det daglige, varme barberings-ritualet :D

Tøft at du prøver dette Sandman. Du har jammen overbevist meg til å ta sjansen på å barbere meg med kaldt vann i dag, det skader jo ikke å prøve.

Jeg "editer" denne posten med erfaringer når det er gjort...

Edit: Da var barberingen unnagjort. Jeg har vel kanskje samme konklusjon som Sandman. Det var ingenting som var revolusjonerende med kaldbarbering. Jeg brukte DOVO Bismarck kniv, scuttle med kaldt vann og fitjar såpe (jeg har ennå ikke fått prosac kremen og mamabear såpen jeg bestillte fra barbershop, tror jeg må sende en mail og purre).

Forberedelse: Kaldt vann i scuttle og kost. Kaldt vann i ansiktet, uten å tørke av mens jeg stroppet og skummet opp såpe, og mer kaldt vann i ansiktet rett før påføring av såpe i ansiktet.

Til forskjell fra Sandman så synst jeg at oppskummingen av såpe var lettere med kaldt vann. Det kan bero på at jeg ennå ikke er noe god til å skumme opp. Jeg foretrekker ennå å skumme direkte i ansiktet, men bruker scuttle for å lære meg ca hvor mye vann som trengs. Å påføre den kalde såpen i ansiktet var ikke en dårlig opplevelse, men det var jo ikke like deilig som varm såpe.

Selve barberingen ble litt tettere enn gjennomsnitt, men tror det er tilfeldigheter. Det var kanskje også et hint mindre "sliting" og "riving" i sjegget enn tidligere. Men dette kan også være tilfeldig. Jeg tror kanskje at kniven min trenger en runde på brynen. Om det beror på at Fitjar har en dårlig slipetjeneste, eller at jeg har behandlet kniven feil under f.eks. stropping, vet jeg ikke. Mest sannsynlig er det det siste. Det kan også hende at det føles litt røft fordi jeg ikke får til å skumme opp såpen bra nok. Skal bli spennende å se når den nye kremen og såpen kommer.

Følelsen etter barbering er som ved en vanlig barbering, bare at man kjennes litt kaldere ut i ansiktet.

Kommer jeg til å prøve igjen? Tja, hvorfor ikke, men ikke på fast basis. Kanskje en gang i blant.

Jeg tror kanskje at kniven min trenger en runde på brynen. Om det beror på at Fitjar har en dårlig slipetjeneste, eller at jeg har behandlet kniven feil under f.eks. stropping, vet jeg ikke. Mest sannsynlig er det det siste.

Den enkleste måten å teste dette på er å prøve å barbere kun kinnene. Dette er erfaringsmessig det enkleste området å barbere med kniv. Stram huden godt og ta noen korte drag på hvert kinn. Kjenner du lugging eller ubehag her er det liten vits i å fortsette før du har fått noen til å ta en kikk på kniven.

Å barbere seg med en liten vinkel på kniven hjelper også, dvs istedetfor å kutte 90 grader på skjegget heller du kniven litt på skrå, 30 grader f.eks.

Pass også på avstand fra ryggen på kniven og inn til huden. Rundt 30 graders vinkel her også er ett bra utgangspunkt, prøv deg frem til du finner komfortsonen, dvs, der kniven skjærer best uten å irritere/lugge.

God prep og ett bra skum er naturligvis også vesentlig for ett bra resultat :)

Hva slags stropp har du forresten og hva er rutinen på stroppingen din?

Ellers tøft gjort av dere å teste ut denne "kaldtvannsteorien" personlig tror jeg ikke det er noe jeg kommer til å prøve i nærmeste fremtid :)

Den enkleste måten å teste dette på er å prøve å barbere kun kinnene. Dette er erfaringsmessig det enkleste området å barbere med kniv. Stram huden godt og ta noen korte drag på hvert kinn. Kjenner du lugging eller ubehag her er det liten vits i å fortsette før du har fått noen til å ta en kikk på kniven.

Å barbere seg med en liten vinkel på kniven hjelper også, dvs istedetfor å kutte 90 grader på skjegget heller du kniven litt på skrå, 30 grader f.eks.

Pass også på avstand fra ryggen på kniven og inn til huden. Rundt 30 graders vinkel her også er ett bra utgangspunkt, prøv deg frem til du finner komfortsonen, dvs, der kniven skjærer best uten å irritere/lugge.

God prep og ett bra skum er naturligvis også vesentlig for ett bra resultat :)

Hva slags stropp har du forresten og hva er rutinen på stroppingen din?

Ellers tøft gjort av dere å teste ut denne "kaldtvannsteorien" personlig tror jeg ikke det er noe jeg kommer til å prøve i nærmeste fremtid :)

Ikke meningen å kapre tråden her, eller gå helt off topic, men for å svare på spørsmålene dine. Jeg burker en vanlig Dovostropp som selges på barbershop. I begynnelsen brukte jeg lærsiden, men holdt nok ikke stroppen stramt nok, og brukte nok litt for mye tyngde i kniven. Hadde også for høy hastighet. Det førte til flere stygge hakk i stroppen. Nå bruker jeg den hvite "tøysiden." Tyfonikus mener den er den beste om jeg forstod ham rett. Jeg holder nå stroppen stramt, og legger så vidt trykk på kniven. Antall drag på stroppen er litt på gefülen, men tenker det blir en 20 drag hver veg etter barbering og fra 50-60 før hver barbering.

Det er ca 30 grader jeg bruker under barberingen også (litt forskellig fra plass til plass). Kinnene er som du sier ganske enkle å barbere, men jeg har knapt noe sjegg der. Bare et par enkle stubber litt på midten, så det gir ikke noe god indikasjon. Etter kinnene er nok kinnskjegget det enkleste. Syns at den river litt i det venstre skjegget men ikke så mye i det høyre (noe som tyder på at det er teknikken min det er noe galt med). Halsen er det værste. Der er det til tider ganske smertefullt å barbere seg. Der ser det også ut som en jungel bare etter en dag, og skjegget vokser til alle kanter, slik at det nesten blir irrelevant å snakke om WTG og AGT.

Jeg var visst litt uklar.. Det var kinnskjegget jeg mente når jeg sa kinnene, "my bad" :)

Vil du så kan jeg ta en kikk på den for deg, send meg isåfall en PM.

Veldig glad at jeg fant denne artikkelen før jeg dro på fjellet! Skal dra på en hytte uten vann, strøm eller toalett! Men er fortsatt fast bestemt på å ha en "hellig" barbering før middagen på påskeaften! Og med min EKSTREMT sensetive (mine oppfattninger) hud, kan dette bli en opplevelse for seg selv!

Skal forteller om hvordan det gikk når/om jeg kommer til bake fra fjellheimen!

Har prøvd kald barbering et par ganger nå. Og må si at resultatene blir ikke så verst, men med min sensetive hud som blir lett irritert er dette ikke noe for meg. Men for eldre rever på dette forumet er det noe å prøve

Er det dårlig gjort av meg å sitere en som utdyper hvorfor kalde dusjer stort sett bare er vås? :unsure:

As an aspiring physician, I have to say I’ve been pretty disappointed with the quasi-scientific claims that find their way into a lot of articles here at AoM. This article was so terrible that I had to comment. It takes the cake, definitely.

“Cold water causes your blood to move to your organs to keep them warm.”

No. Cold water acts as a cutaneous vasoconstrictor, causing the skin to get less blood flow. This doesn’t translate into blood “moving to your organs”. Blood follows the same vessels either way. The difference is really that your blood pressure will be higher after exposure to cold water, an effect which is generally considered unhealthy.

“Cold shower proponents argue that stimulating the circulatory system in this way keeps them healthier and younger looking than their hot water-loving counterparts.”

Nonsense. There is no such thing as “stimulating the circulatory system” just as there is no such thing as “boosting the immune system”. What you’re actually doing is stressing your body by lowering your core temperature, forcing the body to expend calories to maintain thermal homeostasis. By the way, if your core temperature drops below around 95 F, you’re hypothermic, and that’s a medical emergency. The first sign is usually uncontrollable shivering, followed by tachycardia — rapid heartbeat — and an immediate urge to urinate. Such conditions are also absolutely terrible for the liver, and doing it regularly might eventually trigger type 2 diabetes.

“Research at the Department of Radiation Oncology at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine indicates that short cold showers may stimulate the brain’s “blue spot”- the brain’s primary source of noradrenaline — a chemical that could help mitigate depression.”

Nikolai Shevchuk is basically a charlatan. The study you cite was done by him, and it flies in the face of basic science. While the locus caeruleus is being studied in relation to such things as depression and panic disorder, there’s absolutely no physiologic reason to believe cold water on the skin has any particular effect upon it, or that it ever could.

“Hot water dries out skin and hair. If you want to avoid an irritating itch and ashy elbows, turn down the temperature of your showers.”

This is an argument for warm showers as opposed to hot. Not an argument for cold showers at all.

“Also, cold water can make your manly mane look shinier and your skin look healthier by closing up your cuticles and pores.”

This is merely cosmetic. To “look healthier” is culture-bound, and not necessarily the same thing as actually being healthier. There is no particular health benefit associated with “closing up your cuticles and pores”. Cuticles don’t open or close, and pores don’t open or close so much that it has any great effect on one’s dermatology either way. One can still get blackheads with “closed pores”, and one will still sweat the same amount. What other possible benefit could this produce?

It also seems that I need to remind the group that neither hair nor the outermost layer of skin are actually alive. Hair was never alive. It’s a proteinaceous waste product of the body, conceptually similar to feces, though thankfully not chemically similar. And, all humans are covered with a good bit of dead skin, which protects the more sensitive living skin underneath. The human epidermis is divided into five layers, the first two of which are dead (the strata cornerum & lucidum). The next layer, the stratum granulosum, is in the process of dying. This is perfectly normal.

“According to a study done in 1993 by the Thrombosis Research Institute in England, individuals who took daily cold showers saw an increase in the number of virus fighting white blood cells compared to individuals who took hot showers. Researchers believe that the increased metabolic rate, which results from the body’s attempt to warm itself up, activates the immune system and releases more white blood cells in response.”

Absolute nonsense. There is no such thing as “activating the immune system”. It is always on if you have a working one. Some people don’t. Even if the study you mention actually supports such a conclusion and was rigorously done (which I can’t determine because you don’t provide enough information to identify it), this is a mere correlation. To jump from a correlation to a particular causal relationship is fallacious without more substantial evidence.

“The same study by the Thrombosis Research Institute cited above showed that cold water showers actually increase testosterone production in men.”

Still being unable to identify the study, I can’t rebut in detail. Nevertheless, the mere fact that the same study sought to test both immune response and testosterone levels of men after different types of showers suggests to me that there’s some pathological science going on here, and a detailed examination of the methods would expose flaws in the experiment. I’d bet money on it.

“Trying to become a dad? Cold showers are good for your little swimmers. Your testes aren’t meant to get too hot; that’s why they hang outside your body. Sperm counts decrease when the temperature of a man’s testes increases. Experiments done in the 1950s showed that hot baths were an effective contraceptive. Men who took a 30 minute hot bath every other day for 3 weeks were infertile for the next six months.”

Okay, this is just stupid. You’re relying on the vague usage of the word “hot” to imply that the hot showers an average person takes could do this, which is flatly false. One would have to take a literally scalding hot shower — burning the skin — to have any chance of inducing invirility (funfact: the word “fertility” only applies to females, the male equivalent is “virility”). A standard hot shower at around 100 F is not going to reduce sperm count, particularly if you don’t spend several hours per day in such water. A shower at 130 F might, but then you’re going to be covered in first degree burns as well. Your hot water tank shouldn’t be set to exceed 120 F to begin with.

Also, there’s a fallacy involved in the idea that, because a scalding hot shower causes invirility, therefore a cold shower causes excessive virility. It’s non sequitur. It doesn’t follow logically. It could also be the case, for all YOU know, that both extremes of heat and cold cause invirility. You didn’t bother checking, did you? Looking only for confirming evidence and remaining intentionally ignorant of disconfirming evidence is how things like homeopathy and chiropractic neck manipulation get invented.

“While switching from a hot to cold shower may not have as dramatic an effect, if you’re trying to create some progeny, it surely won’t hurt.”

Neither will not bathing at all, on that front. So what? Pointless aside masquerading as an argument. “Do it because it won’t hurt” isn’t very persuasive. For the most part, licking a dog’s ass won’t hurt you: they’re usually cleaner than human hands. Nevertheless, I’m not going to be doing that any time soon.

“Every time I end a shower with cold water, I leave feeling invigorated and energized. Your heart starts pumping, and the rush of blood through your body helps shake off the lethargy of the previous night’s sleep. For me, the spike in energy lasts several hours. It’s almost like drinking a can of Diet Mountain Dew, minus the aspartame. And while it hasn’t been studied, many people swear that cold showers are a surefire stress reducer. I’m a believer.”

Perhaps that’s the basic problem here. You’re a “believer” rather than an “investigator”. This is apparently akin to a religious conviction for you, and so you’re more interested in a presentation which persuades by dint of rhetorical misdirection than by dint of real evidence.

As I already mentioned, your heart “starts pumping” due to borderline hypothermia, which induces tachycardia, which is absolutely NOT a good thing to repeatedly induce. Likewise, far from reducing stress, it causes it. Vasoconstriction -> hypertension -> stress. Regular bouts of hypertension also cause damage to internal organs, particularly the kidneys.

So the only real incontestable point you’ve made for the entire article is that a cold shower produces, for you at least, a subjective feeling of vigor. Not exactly impressive or convincing.

Read more: http://artofmanliness.com/2010/01/18/the-james-bond-shower-a-shot-of-cold-water-for-health-and-vitality/#ixzz1Bwt2p79K

Hiver meg på en litt gammel tråd jeg og.

Kjøpte en Mitchell Wool Fat såpe for et par års tid siden, og den viste seg å være i overkant vanskelig å få skummet opp skikkelig. Leste i et forum den gang at det å skumme såpen i lunkent til kaldt vann var løsningen, og det viste seg å stemme bra. Skummet ble helt supert, og kniven tok skjegget bedre enn jeg hadde fryktet. Kniven sklei pent gjennom hårene, og jeg har sjelden hatt en tettere barbering. I motsetning til noen av dere andre med følsom hud så opplevde jeg mindre hudirritasjon enn noen gang.

Det var likevel siste gangen jeg brukte den såpen. Jeg foretrekker en varm og god kosestund med kniven foran speilet. Var det ikke mentalhygiene du sa jimaxl?

Likevel...hvis jeg noen gang skal bli eremitt på en fjellhytte, da er dette såpen og teknikken som passer :D

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.